As the new year approaches, many of us start thinking about ways to improve ourselves and our lives. For those in their 20s, the new year can be an especially meaningful time to set goals and make positive changes.
This decade is often a time of transition and personal growth, as young adults navigate the challenges of building a career, finding their place in the world, and establishing independence. It’s also a time when old habits can be hard to break and new ones can be difficult to form.
That’s where New Year’s resolutions come in. By setting specific, achievable goals and making a commitment to work towards them, 20-somethings can start the year off on the right foot and set themselves up for success in the long term.
In this post, we’ll explore 10 resolutions that are particularly relevant and meaningful for 20-somethings. From improving physical health and developing a daily self-care routine, to learning a new skill or hobby and giving back to the community, these resolutions can help young adults build a strong foundation for a healthy, happy, and fulfilling life.
In a different post, we discussed 10 tips for setting and achieving goals in the new year. These tips included setting specific, realistic, achievable goals; making a plan; tracking progress; staying motivated; being flexible and adaptable; and staying committed and persistent. By following these tips, you can set and work towards goals that will help you achieve success in the new year.
Resolution #1: Improve physical health
Taking care of our physical health is important at any age, but it’s especially crucial in our 20s when the body is still developing and growing. Whether it’s exercising regularly, eating a healthy diet, or getting enough sleep, there are many ways to prioritize our physical well-being and set ourselves up for a lifetime of good health.
But why is physical health so important, especially for 20-somethings? Here are a few reasons:
- Improved quality of life: By taking care of our bodies, we can feel better, have more energy, and be more productive. Good physical health is key to enjoying all the activities and opportunities that life has to offer.
- Reducing the risk of chronic diseases: Many chronic diseases, such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease, can be prevented or managed through a healthy lifestyle. By making healthy habits a priority now, we can reduce our risk of developing these conditions later on.
- Building a strong foundation for the future: Good physical health is the foundation of a healthy, happy, and fulfilling life. By building good habits now, we can set ourselves up for a lifetime of good health.
So what can you do to improve your physical health in the new year? Here are a few ideas:
- Exercise regularly: Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise per week, or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity exercise. This can include activities like walking, running, cycling, swimming, or participating in team sports.
- Eat a healthy diet: Focus on getting a variety of nutrients from whole, unprocessed foods. This means plenty of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Avoid added sugars, processed foods, and unhealthy fats.
- Get enough sleep: Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep per night to ensure that your body has time to rest and repair itself. Avoid screens before bed and create a relaxing bedtime routine to help you wind down.
Improving physical health is a lifelong process, and it’s important to find habits and activities that work for you and make you feel your best. By making physical health a priority in the new year, you’ll be setting yourself up for a lifetime of good health and well-being.
Resolution #2: Develop a daily self-care routine
Self-care is an essential part of maintaining good physical and mental health, and it’s especially important for 20-somethings who may be facing a number of stressors and challenges. Whether it’s balancing work and school, building a career, or navigating relationships, young adults can benefit greatly from taking the time to nurture themselves and prioritize their own well-being.
But self-care isn’t always easy. With busy schedules and demanding responsibilities, it can be tempting to put our own needs on the back burner. That’s why making self-care a resolution is so important – it’s a reminder to prioritize our own well-being and make time for activities that nourish our bodies, minds, and spirits.
So what does a daily self-care routine look like? It’s different for everyone, but it could include activities like:
- Meditating or practicing mindfulness: Mindfulness is a form of meditation that helps us focus on the present moment and let go of stress and worries. It can be as simple as taking a few deep breaths and focusing on your breath, or using a guided meditation app.
- Journaling: Writing down our thoughts and feelings can be a cathartic and therapeutic activity. It’s a way to process our emotions and gain insight into ourselves.
- Exercise: Physical activity is a great way to reduce stress, boost mood, and improve overall health. It doesn’t have to be intense – even a brisk walk or a yoga session can make a big difference.
- Taking a relaxing bath: Soaking in a warm tub can be a great way to unwind and de-stress after a long day. Add some Epsom salts or essential oils for an extra relaxing touch.
- Getting enough sleep: Sleep is essential for good physical and mental health, and it can be especially hard to come by in the 20-something years. Make an effort to get enough sleep by setting a consistent bedtime, creating a relaxing bedtime routine, and avoiding screens before bed.
Self-care is an ongoing process, and it’s important to find activities that work for you and make you feel nourished and renewed. By making self-care a daily habit, you’ll be better equipped to handle the challenges and stressors of everyday life, and you’ll be setting yourself up for long-term physical and mental well-being.
Resolution #3: Learn a new skill or hobby
Learning a new skill or hobby can be a rewarding and enriching experience at any age, but it can be especially meaningful for 20-somethings who are still in the process of discovering their passions and interests. Whether you’re looking to expand your career prospects, try something new and exciting, or simply have fun and challenge yourself, learning a new skill or hobby can be a great way to do it.
So what should you learn? The possibilities are endless, and the best choice will depend on your interests and goals. Some ideas to consider might include:
- Playing a musical instrument: Music is a universal language and a great way to express yourself creatively. Whether you’re interested in playing the guitar, the piano, or something else entirely, there are plenty of resources available to help you get started.
- Cooking: Being able to cook is a valuable skill that can save you money, improve your health, and allow you to enjoy new flavors and cuisines. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced cook, there’s always more to learn.
- Coding: Coding is a valuable skill in today’s digital world, and it can open up a wide range of career opportunities. Whether you’re interested in web development, app design, or something else, there are plenty of resources available to help you get started.
- Drawing or painting: Art can be a great way to express yourself creatively and relax. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced artist, there’s always more to learn and new techniques to explore.
- Dancing: Dancing is a fun and physical activity that can improve your coordination, strength, and flexibility. Whether you’re interested in ballroom dancing, salsa, or something else, there are plenty of resources available to help you get started.
No matter what skill or hobby you choose to learn, the important thing is to have fun and challenge yourself. Learning something new can be intimidating at first, but with practice and persistence, you’ll be surprised at what you can accomplish. Who knows – you might even discover a new passion in the process!
Resolution #4: Travel and explore new places
Traveling is a great way to expand our horizons, learn new things, and experience new cultures. For 20-somethings, who may not yet have many responsibilities or commitments, it can be an especially exciting and rewarding experience. Whether you’re interested in seeing new sights, trying new foods, or making new friends, traveling can be a great way to do it.
But travel can also be expensive, and it’s important to be mindful of your budget. Here are a few tips for traveling on a budget:
- Plan ahead: The earlier you start planning your trip, the more time you’ll have to shop around for the best deals on flights, accommodation, and activities.
- Be flexible: If you’re willing to be flexible with your travel dates, you may be able to find better deals on flights and accommodation.
- Travel off-season: Many destinations are less crowded and more affordable during the off-season. By traveling during these times, you may be able to save money and have a more authentic travel experience.
- Stay in budget accommodation: There are plenty of affordable options available, such as hostels, Airbnb rentals, or Couchsurfing.
- Eat like a local: Instead of eating at tourist restaurants, try to find local markets or street food stalls, which are often more affordable and offer a more authentic culinary experience.
- Do your research: Look for discounts and deals on activities, such as free museum days or discounted tickets to popular attractions.
By following these tips, you can stretch your budget and make the most of your travel experience. No matter where you go, the important thing is to be open to new experiences and embrace the unknown. Who knows what adventures and memories you’ll come home with!
Resolution #5: Read more books
Reading is a great way to stimulate the mind, improve vocabulary and critical thinking skills, and gain new perspectives. It can also be a relaxing and enjoyable activity, and it’s something that can be done anywhere and anytime.
But with busy schedules and so many other distractions vying for our attention, it can be hard to find the time to read. That’s why making reading a resolution can be a great way to prioritize this enriching activity.
So how can you make reading a part of your daily routine? Here are a few ideas:
- Set aside dedicated reading time: Whether it’s 20 minutes before bed or an hour on the weekend, setting aside dedicated reading time can help you make progress and stay motivated.
- Choose books that interest you: The best books are the ones that capture your imagination and keep you turning the pages. Don’t worry about what’s popular or what others are reading – choose books that genuinely interest you.
- Join a book club: Book clubs can be a great way to connect with others who share your love of reading and to discover new books you might not have come across on your own.
- Experiment with different formats: If you’re not a fan of traditional books, there are plenty of other options available, such as audiobooks, ebooks, or comics. Experiment with different formats to find what works best for you.
- Make reading a social activity: Invite a friend or loved one to read the same book and discuss it together, or join a reading group online to connect with others who share your interests.
By making reading a priority and finding ways to incorporate it into your daily routine, you’ll be able to reap the many benefits of this enriching activity and expand your horizons in the process.
Resolution #6: Volunteer and give back to the community
Volunteering is a great way to make a positive impact in the world and give back to the community. Whether it’s through a local non-profit organization, a national service program, or simply lending a helping hand to a neighbor in need, volunteering can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience.
But volunteering isn’t just about helping others – it can also be beneficial for the volunteer. By getting involved in causes you care about, you can learn new skills, make new friends, and gain a sense of purpose and accomplishment.
So how can you get involved in volunteering? Here are a few ideas:
- Look for opportunities in your community: Many local non-profit organizations rely on volunteers to carry out their important work. Whether you’re interested in working with animals, helping the environment, or supporting a particular cause, there’s likely an organization that could use your help.
- Consider a national service program: Programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps offer opportunities to serve communities across the country and around the world.
- Lend a helping hand to those in need: Even small acts of kindness can make a big difference. Consider offering to help a neighbor with yard work, run errands for an elderly person, or donate to a local food bank.
No matter what form it takes, volunteering is a great way to make a positive impact in the world and give back to the community. By dedicating some of your time and energy to a cause you care about, you can make a difference and feel good about it.
So why not make volunteering a resolution for the new year? Whether it’s a one-time event or a regular commitment, there are many ways to get involved and make a difference. By volunteering and giving back, you’ll be making a positive impact in the world and enriching your own life in the process.
Resolution #7: Improve financial literacy
Financial literacy is an important skill that can help us manage our money effectively and make informed financial decisions. Whether it’s saving for a big purchase, investing for the future, or simply paying bills on time, having a solid understanding of personal finance can be essential for our financial well-being.
But financial literacy isn’t something that’s typically taught in school, so it’s up to us to learn and educate ourselves. By improving our financial literacy, we can set ourselves up for financial success and security in the long term.
So how can you improve your financial literacy in the new year? Here are a few ideas:
- Create a budget: A budget is a tool that helps us track our spending and make sure we’re saving enough money. By creating a budget, you’ll have a better understanding of your financial situation and where your money is going.
- Learn about investing: Investing can be a great way to grow your wealth over time, but it’s important to understand the risks and rewards involved. Consider taking a class or reading books or articles to learn more about investing.
- Learn about credit: Credit is an important financial tool, but it’s important to understand how it works and how to use it responsibly. Consider taking a class or reading books or articles to learn more about credit.
- Seek professional advice: If you’re not sure where to start or have specific financial goals in mind, consider seeking the advice of a financial professional. Whether it’s a financial planner, a banker, or a financial coach, a professional can help you create a financial plan that works for you.
By improving your financial literacy, you’ll be better equipped to make informed financial decisions and set yourself up for financial success in the long term.
Resolution #8: Build and maintain healthy relationships
Relationships are a vital part of our lives, and they can have a big impact on our happiness and well-being. Whether it’s relationships with family, friends, or romantic partners, it’s important to make an effort to build and maintain healthy relationships.
But building and maintaining healthy relationships isn’t always easy. It takes time, effort, and communication to keep relationships strong and healthy. Here are a few tips for building and maintaining healthy relationships in the new year:
- Communicate openly and honestly: Communication is the foundation of any healthy relationship. By communicating openly and honestly with your loved ones, you’ll be able to express your needs and feelings and build trust and understanding.
- Practice active listening: Active listening is the act of fully focusing on what the other person is saying and trying to understand their perspective. By practicing active listening, you’ll be able to build stronger connections and show that you care about what the other person has to say.
- Make time for your loved ones: Life can be busy, and it’s easy to let relationships take a back seat. But by making an effort to spend quality time with your loved ones, you’ll be able to strengthen your relationships and show them how much they mean to you.
- Practice forgiveness: No relationship is perfect, and it’s inevitable that we’ll all make mistakes and hurt the people we care about. By practicing forgiveness, we can let go of grudges and move forward in a positive direction.
- Seek support when needed: If you’re struggling with a relationship, it can be helpful to seek the support of a friend, family member, or professional counselor. By seeking support, you’ll be able to work through any challenges and strengthen your relationships.
By building and maintaining healthy relationships, you’ll be able to create a strong support system and enrich your life in the process.
Resolution #9: Get outside
Spending time outdoors has numerous benefits for our physical and mental health, and it’s important to make an effort to get outside and enjoy nature. Whether it’s going for a hike, spending time at the beach, or simply taking a walk in the park, getting outside can help us feel more energized and connected to the world around us.
But getting outside isn’t just about enjoying the scenery – it’s also about getting some much-needed Vitamin D and fresh air. Here are a few benefits of getting outside:
- Stress management: Spending time in nature has been shown to reduce stress and improve our overall well-being.
- Improved mental health: Being outside can help improve our mood and reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is an essential nutrient that helps our bodies absorb calcium and promotes bone growth. It’s produced by our bodies when our skin is exposed to sunlight, so getting outside can help ensure that we’re getting enough Vitamin D.
By making an effort to get outside and enjoy nature, we can improve our physical and mental health and connect with the world around us.
Resolution #10: Set and work towards long-term goals
Setting and working towards long-term goals can be a great way to focus our efforts and drive our personal and professional growth. Whether it’s a career goal, a personal development goal, or a financial goal, having a clear direction can help us stay motivated and on track.
But setting and achieving long-term goals isn’t always easy. It takes planning, discipline, and perseverance to make progress and reach our goals. Here are a few tips for setting and working towards long-term goals:
- Set SMART goals: SMART goals are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-bound. By setting SMART goals, we can make sure our goals are clear, achievable, and have a sense of purpose.
- Create a plan: A plan can help us break down our goals into smaller, more manageable steps and keep us on track.
- Stay motivated: Staying motivated can be a challenge, especially when we hit setbacks or face obstacles. By reminding ourselves of the benefits of achieving our goals and finding ways to stay positive, we can keep moving forward.
- Celebrate progress and achievements: It’s important to celebrate our progress and achievements along the way. By recognizing the hard work we’ve put in and the progress we’ve made, we can stay motivated and stay the course.
By setting and working towards long-term goals, we can focus our efforts and drive our personal and professional growth.
New Year’s resolutions can be a great way to set goals and make positive changes in our lives. Whether it’s improving our health, building new skills, or strengthening our relationships, there are many ways to make the most of the new year.
By setting resolutions that are meaningful and achievable, we can make progress and improve our lives in the long term. Whether you choose to focus on one or all of the resolutions outlined in this blog post, the most important thing is to find what works for you and make the most of the opportunities the new year brings.
Here’s to a happy and fulfilling new year!