6 Tips to Make Friends in Your 20s in NYC
Making friends as an adult can be tough, especially if you’re living in a big city like New York. You’re no longer surrounded by the built-in social network of a school or college campus, and it can be intimidating to put yourself out there and try to meet new people. But the good news is that it is possible to make meaningful connections in your 20s, and building a strong social network in NYC can greatly enrich your life.
Having a group of friends to share your experiences with can provide support and encouragement during this exciting, yet sometimes overwhelming, decade. Friends can also open doors to new opportunities and help you to feel more connected to your community.
Men, are you having a tough time making friends in your 20s? It’s common to feel like it’s harder to meet new people as an adult, especially in a big city like NYC. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. This article “Men, Here’s How To Make Friends In Your 20s” is packed with tips and tricks for making friends in your 20s, specifically for men. From joining clubs and organizations to attending events and volunteering, we’ve got you covered. Don’t struggle through your 20s feeling lonely – read this article and take the first steps towards building a strong social network in the city.
So, where do you start? Here are six tips to help you make friends in your 20s in NYC:
1. Join a club or organization related to your interests
One of the easiest and most enjoyable ways to meet new people in NYC is to join a club or organization related to your interests. This could be anything from a sports team or book club to a professional organization or volunteer group. Not only will you have the chance to pursue your passions, but you’ll also be surrounded by like-minded individuals who share similar interests.
Here are some examples of clubs and organizations in NYC:
- Sports leagues: There are many options for adult sports leagues in NYC, including basketball, soccer, and flag football. Joining a team is a great way to stay active and make friends at the same time.
- Book clubs: There are numerous book clubs in the city that cater to a variety of interests. You can find one that focuses on a particular genre, author, or theme, or you can start your own.
- Professional organizations: If you’re in a particular industry, consider joining a professional organization in NYC. This can be a great way to network and build relationships with colleagues.
- Volunteer groups: Giving back to your community is not only rewarding, but it’s also a great way to meet new people. There are countless organizations in NYC that are always looking for volunteers, so find one that aligns with your values and start making a difference.
Are you struggling to make friends in your 20s? It can be tough to meet new people as an adult, but it’s not impossible. If you’re looking for ideas on where to start, check out our article “Five (5) Ideas On Where You Can Make Friends In Your 20s”. In this article, we provide five concrete ideas for finding new friends in the city, from joining a club or organization to attending events and festivals. Don’t let your 20s pass you by feeling lonely – read this article and take the first steps towards building a strong social network.
The benefits of joining a club or organization:
- You’ll have a built-in social network of people with similar interests
- You’ll have the opportunity to pursue your passions and hobbies
- You’ll be able to make connections and form relationships with like-minded individuals
- You may have the opportunity to develop new skills or advance your career through networking.
2. Attend events and festivals
One of the great things about living in NYC is the abundance of events and festivals happening throughout the year. From music festivals and food fairs to cultural events and holiday celebrations, there’s always something going on in the city. Attending these events is a great way to meet new people and have fun at the same time.
Here are some popular events and festivals in NYC:
- Governors Ball: This music festival takes place on Randall’s Island every summer and features a variety of artists across multiple genres.
- New York City Wine & Food Festival: This annual event features tastings and celebrity chef appearances, and benefits the Food Bank for New York City and No Kid Hungry.
- New York City Marathon: If you’re an avid runner, consider participating in the NYC Marathon, one of the largest and most iconic marathons in the world.
- New York Fashion Week: If you’re interested in fashion, check out New York Fashion Week, which takes place twice a year and showcases the latest collections from designers.
- Village Halloween Parade: This annual event is one of the largest Halloween parades in the world, and attracts thousands of participants and spectators.
How to find out about events and festivals:
- Check out the events calendar on the official NYC website
- Follow local event and festival pages on social media
- Sign up for newsletters or email lists from organizations or venues you’re interested in
- Ask friends or colleagues for recommendations
The benefits of attending events and festivals:
- You’ll have the chance to try new things and have fun
- You’ll meet new people who are also interested in the event or festival
- You’ll have the opportunity to learn about different cultures and traditions
- You may discover new hobbies or interests.
Making friends in your 20s can be a challenge, no matter where you live. While the tips in the blog post “6 Tips to Make Friends in Your 20s in NYC” are specifically geared towards those living in New York City, the principles and strategies can be applied anywhere. Here are some general tips for making friends in your 20s.
3. Volunteer for a cause you care about
Volunteering is a great way to give back to your community and meet new people in NYC. Not only will you be making a positive impact on a cause you care about, but you’ll also have the chance to work alongside like-minded individuals who share your values.
Here are some places to volunteer in NYC:
- Food banks and soup kitchens: Organizations like the Food Bank for New York City and the Bowery Mission provide meals to those in need and always welcome volunteers.
- Animal shelters: If you love animals, consider volunteering at a local animal shelter. The ASPCA and Animal Care Centers of NYC are always in need of volunteers to help care for animals and promote adoption.
- Environmental organizations: If you’re passionate about the environment, consider volunteering with organizations like the New York City Audubon Society or the New York Restoration Project, which work to protect and preserve natural areas in the city.
- Community centers: Many community centers in NYC offer programs and services to local residents and welcome volunteers to help out.
The benefits of volunteering:
- You’ll be making a positive impact on a cause you care about
- You’ll meet new people who share your values and interests
- You’ll have the chance to develop new skills and learn more about the organization or cause you’re supporting
- You may have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others.
4. Take a class or workshop
Taking a class or workshop is a great way to learn new skills and meet new people in NYC. From cooking classes and art workshops to language classes and fitness sessions, there are endless options for personal and professional development in the city.
Here are some options for classes and workshops in NYC:
- Cooking classes: If you love to cook, consider taking a cooking class at a local culinary school or community center. You’ll have the chance to learn new recipes and techniques, and meet other foodies in the process.
- Art workshops: From painting and drawing to sculpture and photography, there are numerous art workshops available in NYC. These classes are a great way to tap into your creative side and meet other artists.
- Language classes: If you’re interested in learning a new language, there are many language schools and community centers in NYC that offer classes in a variety of languages.
- Fitness classes: From yoga and Pilates to kickboxing and spin, there are countless fitness classes available in the city. These classes are a great way to stay active and meet other fitness enthusiasts.
The benefits of taking a class or workshop:
- You’ll have the opportunity to learn new skills and hobbies
- You’ll meet new people who are also interested in the class or workshop
- You’ll have the chance to challenge yourself and try something new
- You may be able to advance your career or personal development through the skills you learn.
Are you moving to a new city in your 20s and feeling anxious about making friends? It can be tough to start from scratch in a new place, but it’s not impossible. If you’re looking for tips on how to make friends in a new city, check out our article “3 Tips For Making Friends In A New City In Your 20s (+ 5 Cities To Move To)”. In this article, we provide three concrete tips for finding new friends in a new city, as well as a list of five cities that are particularly friendly for young adults. Don’t let your 20s pass you by feeling lonely – read this article and take the first steps towards building a strong social network in your new home.
5. Join a co-working space or networking group
If you’re looking to make connections in your professional field, consider joining a co-working space or networking group in NYC. Co-working spaces are shared office environments where you can work alongside other professionals in a variety of industries. Networking groups, on the other hand, are typically more focused on a specific industry or profession and offer opportunities for members to connect and share resources.
Here are some options for co-working spaces and networking groups in NYC:
- Co-working spaces: There are numerous co-working spaces available in NYC, such as WeWork and The Wing, which cater to a variety of industries and offer a range of amenities and services.
- Networking groups: There are many networking groups in NYC that cater to specific industries or professions, such as the New York Tech Meetup or the Women’s Networking Group. These groups often host events and workshops to help members connect and learn from each other.
The benefits of joining a co-working space or networking group:
- You’ll have the opportunity to connect with professionals in your field
- You’ll have access to resources and support to help grow your career
- You’ll have the chance to learn from and collaborate with others
- You may have the opportunity to form long-term professional relationships.
6. Utilize social media and online resources
In the digital age, it’s easier than ever to connect with people online, and there are many social media and online resources available to help you make friends in NYC. From Facebook groups and Meetup to dating apps and LinkedIn, there are countless ways to connect with others in the city.
Here are some tips for using social media and online resources to meet new people:
- Join Facebook groups or Meetup groups that cater to your interests: There are many groups on these platforms that are dedicated to specific hobbies, activities, or causes, and they often host events or meetups for members to connect in person.
- Use dating apps to meet people with similar interests: While dating apps are primarily used for finding romantic partners, they can also be a great way to meet friends. Many apps allow you to specify that you’re looking for platonic connections, and you can filter by interests to find like-minded individuals.
- Connect with others on LinkedIn: LinkedIn is a professional networking platform, but it’s also a great way to connect with others in your industry or field of interest. You can join groups, participate in discussions, and attend events to meet new people.
- Follow local influencers or businesses on social media: Many local influencers and businesses in NYC have a strong presence on social media, and following them can help you stay up to date on events and happenings in the city. You may also have the opportunity to connect with others who follow these accounts.
Popular social media and online resources for making connections in NYC:
- Facebook groups
- Dating apps (e.g. Bumble BFF, Huggle)
Making friends in your 20s in NYC can seem intimidating, but it’s definitely possible. By following these six tips and being open to new experiences, you can build a strong social network in the city. Whether you join a club or organization, attend events and festivals, volunteer for a cause, take a class or workshop, join a co-working space or networking group, or utilize social media and online resources, there are countless ways to connect with others and make meaningful friendships in NYC. So don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and take the first step in building your social network in the city.
Are you feeling lonely in your 20s? It’s common to feel isolated and disconnected at this age, especially if you’re in a new city or going through a transition. If you’re looking for ideas on how to cope with loneliness and make connections, check out our article “Feeling Lonely in Your 20s? Here’s What to Do About It”. In this article, we provide practical tips and advice for dealing with loneliness and building a strong social network. Don’t let your 20s pass you by feeling isolated – read this article and take the first steps towards finding connection and support in your life.
If you found this article helpful and enjoyed the tips for making friends in your 20s in NYC, we encourage you to share it with your friends! Building a strong social network in the city can greatly enrich your life, and these tips can help others do the same. So don’t keep the knowledge to yourself – spread the word and help your friends make meaningful connections in NYC.
What are some popular places to meet friends in NYC?
Some popular places to meet friends in NYC include Central Park, Times Square, the High Line, Union Square Park, the Brooklyn Bridge, the Brooklyn Flea, Washington Square Park, the Met Cloisters, the New York Botanical Garden, and the American Museum of Natural History.
How can one find events or activities to attend with friends in the city?
One can find events or activities to attend with friends in NYC by checking websites like Time Out New York, NYCgo.com, and Eventbrite, as well as following city guides on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Additionally, subscribing to newsletters and bulletins from local cultural organizations and visiting tourist information centers can also provide information on events and activities happening in the city.
What are some recommended restaurants for a night out with friends in NYC?
Some recommended restaurants for a night out with friends in NYC include:
- Carbone – Classic Italian-American cuisine
- The Smith – American bistro fare
- Babbo – Italian cuisine
- Casa Enrique – Mexican cuisine
- Guylian Belgian Chocolate Café – Belgian chocolate and desserts
- L’Artusi – Italian cuisine
- Xi’an Famous Foods – Chinese cuisine
- Sushi Nakazawa – Sushi
- Sake Bar Hagi – Japanese cuisine
- Peter Luger Steak House – Steakhouse.
What are some tourist-friendly activities to do with friends in the city?
Some tourist-friendly activities to do with friends in NYC include:
- Visit the Empire State Building for panoramic views of the city
- Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge
- Take a ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
- Visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Explore Central Park and its many attractions
- Walk around Times Square and see the lights and billboards
- Visit the 9/11 Memorial and Museum
- Take a food tour in one of NYC’s many diverse neighborhoods
- See a Broadway show or play
- Explore the neighborhoods of Little Italy and Chinatown.
How can one plan a weekend trip with friends in NYC?
To plan a weekend trip with friends in NYC, one can follow these steps:
- Determine the dates of the trip and how many days will be spent in the city
- Decide on a budget and determine how much each person will contribute
- Choose accommodation, whether it be a hotel, hostel, or Airbnb, that is convenient and affordable for the group
- Plan out a itinerary based on interests, such as visiting tourist attractions, trying local food, shopping, or exploring the city’s nightlife
- Make any necessary reservations for dining, shows, or activities in advance
- Familiarize yourself with the city’s public transportation system, or consider renting a car or taking a taxi for greater flexibility
- Make sure to account for time to rest and recharge during the trip
- Create a communication plan with your friends to make sure everyone stays on the same page.
It’s also helpful to have a backup plan in case of inclement weather or any changes to the itinerary.
Are there any safety tips for navigating NYC with friends?
Yes, here are some safety tips for navigating NYC with friends:
- Stay aware of your surroundings at all times and trust your instincts.
- Avoid walking alone in dark or deserted areas, especially at night.
- Keep valuables, such as wallets and smartphones, concealed and close to you.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry or carrying large amounts of cash.
- Be cautious of pickpockets and bag snatchers, especially in crowded areas.
- Take extra care when using ATMs, as they can be targets for theft.
- Don’t leave food or drinks unattended, as they could be spiked.
- Use licensed taxis or rideshare services, such as Uber or Lyft, for transportation.
- Don’t hesitate to call the police if you feel threatened or in danger.
- Make sure to have a plan for emergencies, such as exchanging emergency contact information with your friends and knowing the location of the nearest hospital or police station.